Thursday, May 24, 2012

Google Docs Just Got Better: New Researching Tool!


Now in Google Docs you can do searches directly from the page you are writing in! No extra search tab needed. Recently I wrote a series of articles about researching for my college's newspaper, Aggie Up!, and I'm really wishing this feature would have come out a little bit sooner to make it into those articles. (Note: I will post those articles on here as well.)

The research bar can completely transform how much time it takes to get the right content. There are even a few options to customize the type of content you want to find. I don't know about you, but I see Google Docs as probably the biggest competitor to Evernote. I love Evernote, but I often find myself using Google Docs for almost everything. As far as Microsoft Web Apps goes, I have tried to use it, but, again, I find myself going back to Google Docs. It just works! And it keeps getting better!

If you are a keyboard shortcut fanatic like I am (because my hands are usually always on the keyboard and not the mouse... especially when typing something in, say, Google Docs), add "Ctrl+Alt+R" to your mental shortcut bank to quickly find the stuff you need. Or if your mouse is your technological sidekick, you can access the research toolbar by going to Tools > Research.

Sidenote: Did you know there's a "Dictionary" function in Google Docs too? It's right underneath "Research"  and can also be accessed by the shortcut (again, the best way to access things) "Ctrl+Shift+Y".

Hope these tips help! What is your favorite researching tool? Is it Google Docs or another service? And if you use Google Docs, what is your favorite feature?

No comments:

Post a Comment